Motions on Russian Imperialism
—excerpt from minutes of 2014 IBT Conference, 18 April 2014
Motion by Lichtenberg on Russia:
That we endorse the political thrust of the following documents:
- “Is Russia imperialist?” by Riley.
- “Why Russia is not imperialist” by Breitman.
Counterposed Motion by Bill, Dorn, Decker, and Briggs on Russian imperialism:
- We reaffirm Lenin’s Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism including its designation of Russia at the time as an imperialist power.
- We accept Trotsky’s discussion of Russia as an imperialist power, subject to great combined and uneven development, as described in the History of the Russian Revolution.
- We affirm that Russia today is an imperialist power, also subject to great combined and uneven development.
- We note that inter-imperialist rivalries between Russia and American-led western imperialism are an important feature of contemporary international politics.
- To the extent that those inter-imperialist rivalries approach armed conflict we are for the defeat of imperialism on both sides.